Počasie pre Žilinu
žilina počasie Aktuálna teplota:
0 °C
Rýchlosť vetra:
0 km/h
žilina počasie Najnižšia teplota:
0 °C
Najvyššia teplota:
0 °C
viac o počasí >>
Pohotovosť lekární

The town's territory was settled already since the last Ice Period - about 20 000 years B.C. From that period originates the known settlement in the quarter Závodie. The town was inhabited also in Bronze Age, Iron Age and in Roman era.

Our predecessors settled in the town's territory in the 5th century. The oldest discovered Slavonian settlement from that time is situated at towns quarter Frambor. From the 9th century originates settlement at Bôrik, and burial places at Bánová. First written document about the town's territory was dated in 1208 and was mentioned under the name terra de Selinan. In 1297 the name Žilina appears in writings. According to the written documents dated 12 July 1321 Žilina was already a town.

The King Charles I Robert of Anjou during his royal visit to our town on 12 July 1321 granted privileges of a free town to Žilina which then were confirmed also by Sigismund I of Luxembourg (1397) and by Vladislaw II Jagello (1497).

A significant legal and language document of European importance is the Book of Žilina the origin of which reaches back to 1378 when Mikuláš of Luková made for our town a German copy of the Law of Magdeburg town respected by the town Csesin. The first entry in Slovak language originates from 1451. The last written entries are from the year 1561. The Book is treasured at the State District Archives in Žilina.

In 1381 the Slovaks living in the town were positively responded by the ruler when they asked for equal rights with the German colonists. The bill Privilegium pro Slavis (privileges for the Žilina Slovaks) was issued on 7 May 1381 by the Hungarian and Polish King Lodovic I, the Great during his visit to Žilina. This important event is commemorated by a memorial tablet on the wall of the Town Hall.

In the following centuries Žilina was an important centre of craftsman manufactures, trade and education. "Articles" of the furrier's guild originate from 1488. In later years further crafts were established: the tailor's, butcher's, blacksmiths', draper's etc. At the end of the 17th century there were 16 guilds in Žilina and 200 manufactures, out of them 150 draper's.

First written mention about the Žilina grammar school - the so-called Academy - originates from 1542. An important event for national significance was the Convention of Synode of Evangelic Church A.c. from Central and West Slovakia held in 1610. Since 1665 first book printing manufacture worked in Žilina. In 1691, a lower grade Gymnasium was founded by Jesuites in Žilina.

An important event of Slovak history were the victories won over the Hungarian guards by the Slovak volunteers fighting for the rights of Slovaks at the turn of the years 1848/1849 (the Battles at Budatín). After the end of the battles on 4 January 1849, Ľudovít Štúr and Jozef Miloslav Hurban delivered their speeches at the today's Sq. of Virgin Mary. They called the Žilina citizens to fight for national interests. In 1999, on the house No. 7 in the Square of Virgin Mary a memorial tablet was unveiled commemorating that event.

An essential importance for further development of the town had the construction of railway trails at the end of 19th century. The Košice-Bohumín Railway was completed in 1872 and the Považská Railway to Bratislava in 1883. In 1899 first railway to Rajec was opened. Žilina became an important railway junction which created optimal conditions for establishment of important enterprises. In 1903 an Upper Hungarian Industrial Expo was held in Žilina, which had a great impact on the development of the entire Upper Považie (Upper Váh River Valley). The event is commemorated by a memorial tablet on the House of Crafts.

From 12 December 1918 to 3 March 1919 Žilina was a seat of the Ministry for the Management for the Slovakia headed by Dr. Vavro Šrobár (1867-1950). Žilina of that time was the first seat of the Slovak government, and the capital of Slovakia.

An important event of the Slovak history were the talks of 7 political parties held on 6 October 1938. The outcome of the talks was proclamation of the sovereignty of Slovakia, which was announced from the balcony of the Catholic House by Dr. Jozef Tiso. That event, commemorated by the memorial tablet on the building, was an important historic landmark in the struggle for the sovereignty and independence of Slovakia.

In 1945 the population of Žilina was 18,000 inhabitants. In 1949 by the new administrative division the Žilina Region was constituted which lasted until 1960. After its cancellation, stagnation of the town's development followed, and the importance of the town was during the rule of that time government deliberately neglected. In 1960, the School of Transportation (university level) - the current Žilina University was moved to Žilina. The school plays an important role in the city's life.

Since 1959 new city quarters were constructed: Hliny, Vlčince and Solinky, and at present the construction of a new residential quarter Hájik continues. After 1968 the development of Žilina experiences a new revival - the construction of industry, residences, communications, schools and cultural facilities. Since 1990 the town has started an unprecedented progress. A complete reconstruction of the historical part of the city is continuing, as well as of many streets and squares. The city from its own resources builds ecological trolley bus transportation. An important place occupies also the building of Žilina Dam, which started in October 1994, and the first turbine started working in December 1997.

The prestige of the city rose after the constitution of an independent Slovak Republic in 1993, and a strong challenge for further flourishing of the city was the reestablishment of the Žilina Region in 1996 (the ceremony of its declaration was held on 15 August 1996)..

The most important and oldest architectural relics on the town's territory are: the Church of St. Stephen the King from 1200-1250, the tower of Budatín Castle from the 13th century, the Square of Virgin Mary which started its existence before 1300 and the Church of the Holiest Trinity (Parish Church) from about 1400.

The latest book dealing with the past and present of our town in more detail, was edited under the auspices the city Mayor in November 1997.